The Stroumboulopouli

The Stroumboulopouli

The place to get the latest news on what’s coming up on #Gtonight. Find out what Canada’s boyfriend is up to. Share stories, pictures, favourite tv and radio episodes.

CBC TV & Radio shows plus HNIC

His work with Artists for Peace and Justice

UN Ambassadorship for The World Food Programme

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Our favorite clips...Naomi Kline

Kicking off Season 4, I thoroughly enjoyed George's interview with activist Naomi Kline, which prompted an interest in learning more about her ideas and her writing. After quite a bit of roving, I've found myself wanting more, and am eagerly awaiting to read her new book, The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism.

Photobucket

Naomi Klein known to some of her critics as an ideological leftist, proves to me from her observations and ideas, that she believes in a new world. A new world of informing yourself, outrage in what we are letting our politicians get away with, and a dream of humanitarian & environmental participation.

A world that is compromised of wealth distribution, by an economical and political system driven by the people who contribute to it. Can you imagine such a world? To be in charge of your own democratic rights, freedoms and faiths? To be represented by leaders chosen by the people, demanding they keep the promises made? To keep their resources and environment in such a healthy state, so as to enable that society in benefiting other less fortunate countries in establishing and generating prosperity within their own borders?

Such radical ideas, I know.....but in staying informed on the "behind the scenes" political methods we see being used today, maybe.....just maybe, we can learn from past mistakes and atrocities, and contribute to a better future. Discussion, CAN lead to action -and what more powerful way is there, than to let your imagination soar? As George Stroumboulopoulos states in one of his quotes: "Panic and Understanding". Scare tactics only last so long, before one starts to question the basis behind the terror.

I, for one, believe that Naomi Kline is on the right track. So do yourself a favor, play the short film and read some of these links; it may educate & open your eyes to see without the blinders placed on your temples. Paranoia? Conspiracy Theories? Extremist idea's? I certainly don't think so.


"Baghdad year zero:
Pillaging Iraq in pursuit of a neocon utopia"
By Naomi Klein
Published in Harper's Magazine September 2004.
http://www.harpers.org/archive/2004/09/0080197

Naomi Klein: From Think Tanks to Battle Tanks, "The Quest to Impose a Single World Market Has Casualties Now in the Millions"
A transcript from an interview with Amy Goodman with Democracy Now!
Wednesday, August 15th, 2007
http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/15/1432250

The Shock Doctrine Short Film

Also, http://www.naomiklein.org/main

7 comments:

Barbara said...

I am going to watch the video and go over the info and comment soon. Great post!

Barbara said...

Gives you a lot to think about. Maybe I was not paying enough attention to be in shock by the wars going and the why they are going on. It might have been more of a numbness that I could not stop the wars or help the helpless. I am glad someone is paying attention and analysing the why and the how. When you read the book let me know what the conclusion is.

Anonymous said...

Prepare. The information that people need to be consciously aware of will work to protect us from falling victim. Thank you to Naomi Kline and many others who work to inform the masses. It is important to question dominant ideology to see if the rationale can truly suffice.

Thanks,
Sacha

Anonymous said...

why don't you read the book yourself Barbara and come to your own conclusion.. the more people that read it the more the message will get spread around

Jenuine said...

Anon ~
I think what Barb meant, was when I read the book, she's interested in knowing my conclusion of analysing the why & how.
: )
I do agree with you, however, that if more people read the book, then more will come up with their own conclusions on Kline's message.

Out of curiousity, rather than being antagonistic, have you read it? My book store gift card is still burning a hole in my pocket & I'd be curious to hear of anyone's comments on it.

Anonymous said...

Interesting how anyone who doesn't immediately agree with everything said here is deemed antagonistic. Yes. I have read the book. I found it interesting and challenging. Which may be why I suggested she read it. First hand knowledge of a subject is usually better than going with someone else's opinion.

Jenuine said...

I def agree with that statement.

And to clarify:
"Out of curiousity, rather than being antagonistic"
I was refering to myself.

I can't speak for the rest of the Stroumboulopouli, but I find opposable opinions stimulating, in that, it gives me a chance to learn something more about a subject or person.

Thx for your take on the book.
What about it did you find challenging?
So far with my limited knowledge on the subject, my challenge was in accepting the possibility/facts that the "super-powers of the world", once again, are taking advantage of the poverty/tragedy stricken communities, to turn it to their benefit.