The Stroumboulopouli

The Stroumboulopouli

The place to get the latest news on what’s coming up on #Gtonight. Find out what Canada’s boyfriend is up to. Share stories, pictures, favourite tv and radio episodes.

CBC TV & Radio shows plus HNIC

His work with Artists for Peace and Justice

UN Ambassadorship for The World Food Programme

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Irshad Manji and Giovanni Ribisi

I know this is a bit late but at the time these guests originally aired I was working out of town and it’s been a bit wild since I’ve been back, so forgive me for going back in time a couple of weeks. I found both Giovanni and Irshad to be very interesting guests with thought provoking takes on totally different belief systems. I was particularly impressed with the way that they discussed their values, religions and beliefs without implying that anyone who didn’t agree with them was wrong. I’ve always thought that if you believe in your faith strongly enough – no matter what it is – that you should be able to debate and defend it without discrediting others. Irshad described a conversation with her mother saying that she could “engage in debate despite being devout”. I think that’s important and should be encouraged.

She went on to talk about being a writer and the freedom she found in that. There aren’t many people who would be able to find a silver lining in having to have bullet proof windows in their home and go so far as to call their life blessed. Irshad Manji is one author that I intend to learn more about!

Giovanni had a unique and for me at least new perspective on Scientology. He was raised in it which is so different from what we see and hear in the media. It was intriguing to here a non-Hollywood “sane” dialogue on a controversial subject. The interview was one of the best I’ve seen with him. I didn’t find him as introverted as I usually do. I’ve seen him in a number of movies and he’s been good in them all. My favourite is Boiler Room. For me though he’ll always be the kid from My Two Dads.

4 comments:

Steph A. said...

Angie,

As an example, back when producer Simcha Jacobovici ("The Lost Tomb of Jesus") was on The Hour, I asked my born-again colleague "are you going to watch the documentary?" His view was that Jacobovici is wrong and his research is manufacturered in order to make a documentary. Period. Not open to any discussion whatsoever. I was also told that I should not waste my time on such "nonsense". I ignored their advice! ;-)

Unfortunately, where religion is concerned, many people see key issues in black OR white. To some, there is not even a potential for a grey area.

Could it be this mentality that explains the various conflicts around the globe???

Barbara said...

Miss A, I think some people become afraid to question thier own religion.
To make something sacred into something real and human is too much for some. They don't even want to think about it.
I guess we all have our 'sacred cows'
Not that I am comparing Jesus to a cow.... but even the non religious may believe their mother is a saint and don't want anyone to tell them otherwise.
So your question is 'could this explain the various conflicts?'...only if you think my mother is not a saint...
:-)

Steph A. said...

Barbara,

YOUR mom can't be a saint because MY mom is a saint! Wanna have a thumb war over it??? Hahaha ;-)

Seriously, you are quite right. Some people do become afraid to question their own religion. What if in a journey of discovery, one is to find out that they have been led down the proverbial garden path? Some people don't want to face such a reality.

Angie said...

I think if more people just took some time to listen to each other and process the info before speaking or reacting maybe we'd make some progress. I understand being afraid to be wrong but I don't understand at least considering the possibility that there's a different way to do things.

Thanks for the response miss a.