The Stroumboulopouli

The Stroumboulopouli

The place to get the latest news on what’s coming up on #Gtonight. Find out what Canada’s boyfriend is up to. Share stories, pictures, favourite tv and radio episodes.

CBC TV & Radio shows plus HNIC

His work with Artists for Peace and Justice

UN Ambassadorship for The World Food Programme

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Has George 'Put A Spell On Me'?

Has George 'Put A Spell On Me'? (a reference to my MySpace song choice by Nina Simone)

George Stroumboulopoulos can do what he wants.
Who am I to say anything about it?
As a member of his audience, I have felt free to comment, with the invite to do so coming from him. I have said things about his choice of topics on The Hour via email to The Hour. I have responded to the segment on the use of the F word (I am not a fan of the F word). He even read my email on that broadcast. I have objected to the pot smoking 4:44 (4:20 or whatever) segment being run three times that season. I was not amused the first time it was run. There were things he said and did that made me growl, but in the same show there were things that made me think, or laugh, or care. So when I have cause to object to something George says or does I will.
As I got to know the show, and know George better, I could relax with a certain trust that George would be who he is. I still trust that.
I have had a few personal conversations with George since I became a strombo convert. One of the conversation about always being himself, because he explained, he is a lousy actor and does not know how to be anyone other than himself. I have observed that the man is a down to earth, friendly, funny, unique, and a very genuine individual. That's not a bad thing to be, and a couple of months in LA is not going to change him.
Trust.

About his summer job, The One:Making a Music Star.
Well he does have the Much Music background experience for it. He is very involved in music and musicians. You could call it his passion.
I have talked to one of his young fans about how he helped her and encouraged her to get her band a gig. She took his advice and it worked. They got the gig and she had a great time playing with her band at a coffee house.
He encourages musicians like this all the time. Why not do it on a show like The One? The reality is he shares his extensive knowledge of the music industry to anyone who asks him. For up and coming musicians, The One may be the show to watch and learn.
I think he is being who he is and doing what he enjoys doing.
Will it all work out?

Does the man have the magic to make 'The One' a show to watch?
I say 'stay tuned'.


Barbara W.



This just in Jian Ghomeshi will be talking with George Stroumboulopoulos on Sounds Like Canada this Thursday July 13. The show runs 10 am to 11:30 am in 5 times zones you can catch it online or tune into CBC Radio One.
Check out this link if you missed the broadcast.
http://www.cbc.ca/soundslikecanada/

27 comments:

Serah said...

I was not a fan of repeated segements, mostly because I get bored easily.
I love that "The Hour" has always created an atmosphere to stir things up. What's a little controversy! I would have loved to see the reactions of many a CBC viewer when "The Hour" first appeared amongst their regular tv viewing.
Whether he planned to or not, over the years, George has become the voice of my generation (a little cliche, but true). I am proud of this. I see "my generation" as a whole spectrum of people that have been/and still go to music festivals. Think of the assortment of music played, some of it is great, some of it is okay, some of it is intolerably mainstream, but you still have a good time because it is MUSIC after all. I think it is a pretty decent reflection.
Life is meant to be enjoyed, none of us can be "serious" and "brillant" all the time.
And as for me...come on, I watch "adult" cartoons!

Alana Elliott said...

Those pot segments were on 4:20, not 4:44.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Well, that's an interesting take on things, Barbara W. I obviously still have my doubts, but we'll see what happens...

Barbara said...

Thanks Sarah (she's Crafty) You have some good points.
Sorry Alana I forgot what time the potheads smoke...I think it's because I don't care.
That's all I am saying Barbara B. we'll see what happens.

Becky said...

I totally agree with you that George has a way of putting spells on people... he certainly did to me!
I still think the idea of The One is crap, the last thing we need now is more kids getting caught up in that sort of thing. That's why I like The Hour. It was real reality. But hey, that's just me (for other Stroumboulopouli thoughts, see below post... nice tie-in, eh?)
Anyway, I can't wait for Sounds Like Canada tomorrow!

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Becky - you are the segue queen!
I may not be able to catch Sounds Like Canada tomorrow, but I'm sure the team will fill me in.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

It actually 5 times zones - Atlantic, Eastern, Central, Mountain, and Pacific.

Barbara said...

hmmm maybe I was not counting my own time zone because I think of that in terms of 'hey I can listen to that on the radio now'... lol I was thinking in terms of what city do I have to click on to hear it earlier or later than my time.
Thanks for the heads up Barbara B.
Thanks again Alana for the other heads up. I did not mean to sound mean about it. Sorry.

Evelyne said...

I think you're right Barbara W, George can't be someone else than himself, and he sure knows the industry (and he knows it really well).
I think that if he's able to tell to a singer (on The One) that what he/she's soing is total crap, it can be a better show than all the other reality tv shows we're used to.
As I said, I'll try to watch but if it bores me I won't... we'll see pretty soon how The One is going to be (maybe it's going to be the opposite of what we thought it would)

Becky said...

Teehee, thanks Barbara B!
I hope that George do what Evelyne said, and tell the bad singers the truth. Otherwise it just wouldn't be George!

Anonymous said...

I have read the comments for the last two days. And here is my take.

I am worried and excited.
Excited I just get to watch the man that has most definetely
"Put a Spell on Me". I never paid much attention to him on Much but always watched when he was on. Now I can't change the channel. He is charasmatic, funny, intelligent, authentic and Canadian!

I am sure this is going to be an absolute RIOT! I was going to check out this show even before I knew that he was hosting.

Worried.

He is about six days away from being an absolute mega star.

Everyone is going to LOVE him. Let me say that again L-O-V-E him down in America.

But I am worried that he will not be the same George. George is authentic sure but the lure of money and the US???? I don't know... I just don't know. I have hope that he will do nothing but piss them off with his intelligence and they will send him packing to the Great White North but I think he will end up eventually staying.

I am waiting for the girlfriend to show up. He is so hush hush about that (as he should be) but if he finds a woman to fall in love with down there. George is done.

Here's to hoping he has fun and comes back to The Hour in one piece.

I wish him luck.

Cheers Stroumboulopouli... thanks for listening.

J

Anonymous said...

i missed the interview with Jian. *sighs* i don't know if it'll repeat. any one planning on posting it or anything?
Tammy

Barbara said...

Got it for you Tammy! You just have to go to Sounds Like Canada today there is a link added to the post.

Anonymous said...

would you look at that now? it dosen't work on my computer.i tried everything. and all just to hear George's voice again. just my luck...
Tammy

mellowlee said...

Tammy: Do you have realplayer? I had to download it after I saw Barbara's post on myspace with the link.
http://www.real.com/realplayer.html
and chose BASIC on the right hand side (It's the free version)

I absolutely can't wait to see The One! I'm so excited. I'm trying not to think about the possibility of George staying in the US.

Barbara said...

To the ones having trouble listening to the link try unistalling then reinstalling the free version of realplayer.
To "J"
love listening to you.
I think I know where you are coming from with your worries and excitment.
*nods*
me too.

Jas B said...

I think George being George can give an interesting twist to the show...He has lots of tricks up his sleeves...
Anyways, I am sure this would be a better show to watch than the A and C Idol.

And like 'J' said, hope he has fun and comes back to "The Hour" in one piece. [I don't want to lose him to US! :)]

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! Chevrolet oldies business cards Psc 1100 ink cartridges Local moving companies in philadelphia virus scan Chattanooga commercial insurance plan otr tires allergy To make international phone call Car cd players speakers buy didrex Tire wash racks Free nondownload mmorpg games Us merchant marine services offices Ford bronco car cover Portable 12000 btu air conditioner Does propecia really work

Anonymous said...

Great article! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for interesting article.

Anonymous said...

Thank You! Very interesting article. Do you can write anything else about it?

Anonymous said...

Very interesting site. Blog is very good. I am happy that I think the same!

Anonymous said...

Excellent website. Good work. Very useful. I will bookmark!

Anonymous said...

black mold exposure,
black mold symptoms of exposure,

wrought iron garden gates,
your nest iron garden gates, here,

hair styles for fine thin hair,
search hair styles for fine thin hair,

night vision binoculars,
buy, night vision binoculars,

lipitor reactions,
lipitor reactions,


luxury beach resort in the philippines,
beach resort in the philippines,

homeopathy for baby eczema.,
homeopathy for baby eczema.,

save big with great mineral makeup bargains,
companies marketing mineral makeups,

prodam iphone praha,
Apple prodam iphone praha,

Anonymous said...

no deposit poker bankroll
. Walker Poker is a free for me, state of the , softwalay online poker no deposit poker bankroll
free poker bankroll for mansion uniqe poker room rooms uniqe room poker
leading provider of free money promotions.Bonus Codes that give You Free Poker Money without making a deposit.
free and no deposit poker bankroll
free poker cash and money, chips build bankroll without deposit
sorry if spam for you ..

Anonymous said...

sion free deposit bonus joke bonus pobably best poker room titan
no depsoit req online gambling poker portal no deposit bonus poker portals online
online poker bonus
free poker no depoker bez depozytu free money portalsposit bonus offer from best online pokerrooms.in order to receive no deposit bonus you have to
Display

Anonymous said...

Online Poker bonus - $50 for start play - without any deposit Good luck on the table :) Regards and sorry if spam for you.