The Stroumboulopouli

The Stroumboulopouli

The place to get the latest news on what’s coming up on #Gtonight. Find out what Canada’s boyfriend is up to. Share stories, pictures, favourite tv and radio episodes.

CBC TV & Radio shows plus HNIC

His work with Artists for Peace and Justice

UN Ambassadorship for The World Food Programme

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Hour Books: Losing It

I'll be honest, this book was never really on my list to read. I thought the interview on The Hour was interesting, but not something I wanted to pursue beyond that one segment. However, I was at my local library last week and found "Losing It: And Gaining My Life Back One Pound At A Time" by Valerie Bertinelli staring at me from the featured book display. Since I was on Summer Vacation at the time, I was looking for a different kind of read so I picked it up.

I was surprised, it was a good read. It's an interesting journey through Bertinelli's life, from her first encounter with acting to the night her son started touring with her ex-husband as Van Halen's new bassist. I liked that this book didn't glamourize her issues unlike some celebrity biographies I've read in the past. I liked that she was seemingly frank about how her life felt totally different than how it was perceived by the outsiders.

I'm not sure how I feel about using the whole weight loss thing to tie the book together, but it's used as her catalyst to happiness. I did come away from the book with the notion that we all have a story to tell, and on some level everyone's story is similar.

Make sure you check out Valerie Bertinelli's 2008 interview on The Hour.

No comments: