The Stroumboulopouli

The Stroumboulopouli

The place to get the latest news on what’s coming up on #Gtonight. Find out what Canada’s boyfriend is up to. Share stories, pictures, favourite tv and radio episodes.

• CBC TV & Radio shows plus HNIC

• His work with Artists for Peace and Justice

• UN Ambassadorship for The World Food Programme

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Should the Canadian government get involved?



For those of you interested in participating, The Hour's Forum has a fascinating discussion going on in regards to the Toronto Sri Lanka protest that took place on Monday.
'Tamil Tigers, Sri Lanka, Toronto Protests'

Personally, I don't condone that they "distrupted" highway traffic or that they brought/used their children to bring about media attention, however, I do appreciate that they brought to light the war in Sri Lanka to the Canadian masses. I knew of, but very little about the situation as a whole & though I may not agree with how they went about it, I am glad to be more informed, which I do believe was their intent.


Here's a CBCnews.ca account of the
story.
The National's
broadcast from May 11 (Starts about a minute into it). In particular an interview with Melanie Brooks, a Canadian in the CARE camps for the displaced people in Northern Sri Lanka (4:35 into it).

Searching around the net, I found a couple of informative links from the Tamil's perspective:

*
Tamilnation.org
*
Stop Sri Lanka State Terrorism

**
Please note that some of the images/statements shown through these links may be extremely disturbing to viewers.

No comments: